The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide
Make studying formulas for the PMP Exam easy and focus on what you truly need to pass: The ability to interpret results over being able to apply complex formulas to numbers.
- Easy-to-follow guide to walk you step-by-step through the formulas and how to interpret the results
- 160 sample questions (70 interpretational)
- Updated for the current PMP exam and formula question style
- Master answering the all-important interpretational questions on your exam
- Know the math, the formula and how to analyze PMP questions
- Be ready for any formulas PMI throws at you
Do you know how to analyze and interpret the numbers coming out of your project management software tools? For example, what would you do next if you learned that your project’s Planned Value (PV) is higher than budgeted? You’ll need to know that for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam.
The exam tests your ability to understand the concepts behind the math. You may face questions, including data or graphs, where you will have to determine what they mean for the project and choose the right course of action.
The PMP exam changed in 2021, and the focus now is less on knowing how to do the math - we have calculators and tools in real life to help with that - and more on understanding how that data influences decisions on the project.
For example, today it’s less important to be able to calculate a TCPI*, but you do need to know how the formula works and what the result means. Then you’ll be able to determine the team’s next steps when facing a TCPI of 0.9.
This step-by-step guide includes easy-to-follow sections that walk you through the nearly 50 formulas you need to understand for the exam (and more). You’ll learn the concept behind the math, the formula itself, and - most importantly - how to interpret the results to take action for the project.
Then test yourself with 160 sample questions covering how to use and interpret the formulas (in both visual and text-based questions), agile project management math, and more. All questions are in line with the question formats you will see on your actual PMP test, including multiple responses, drag and drop, hotspots, and fill-in-the-blank.
- The ‘why’ behind the numbers: what the math is used for and why the formula helps you make better decisions on your projects.
- How to confidently interpret the results, even if there is more than one variant.
- The keywords to spot in questions that are your clues to which formula to use.
- The fastest ways to learn the formulas.
- How to approach formula-based questions confidently on exam day.
The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide is your authoritative source for understanding the concepts behind the numbers and being equipped to interpret the results. The guide teaches you what is essential for the current exam: how to analyze and interpret the questions and make the best decisions for the project. And that’s a skill that’s handy on the job too!
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM, is one of the world’s leading experts in PMP exam prep, having helped thousands of students successfully gain their certification through his no-nonsense teaching style. He will guide you through the formulas, values, and acronyms you need to know and their detailed explanations so no math questions will bother you on test day.
Don’t study harder: study smarter!
*Wondering what that is? It’s the To Complete Performance Index. The book explains what it’s for and how to use it. Get your copy today!
Want more details? Check out the detailed product description
For all the details of this product, please visit The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide.
Who should buy the guide?
This guide is for those preparing to take the Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam. It is also for project managers and practitioners who want to understand the formulas you need to use on your projects. This step-by-step guide includes easy-to-follow sections to walk you through the formulas and how to interpret the results so you can not only take action in your projects but also pass the PMP exam more easily.
What are the benefits of using the guide?
You’ll learn the concept behind the math, the formula itself, and - most importantly - how to interpret the results to take action for the project and select the correct answer on the PMP exam. Then test yourself with 160 sample questions covering how to use and interpret the formulas (in visual and text-based questions), agile project management math, and more. All questions are in line with the question formats you will see on your actual PMP test, including multiple responses, drag and drop, hotspot, and fill-in-the-blank questions.
What is included in the guide?
The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide is a single eBook/PDF document. It includes the following sections:
- Part One: The Formula Guide
- Part Two: Interpretational Questions and Answers
- Part Three: Computational Questions and Answers
- Part Four: Formula Pocket Guide & Reference Articles
Should I expect formula-related questions in the PMP exam?
Yes! Formulas are still on the PMP exam. But the focus is less on raw mathematics. Instead, you need to know how to interpret numbers, charts and results, which is what The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide will teach you. Additionally, expect a maximum of two questions with easy-to-calculate formulas. For example, expect questions on SPI, CV, EVM, and more.
What is the format of the guide?
The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide is available in PDF format for immediate download here in the PM PrepCast Store. It is also available as a paperback or Kindle version from Amazon.
How can I get a printed version of the guide?
Order the paperback or Kindle version of this guide through Amazon.
Visit the Amazon product page.
How many pages are in this guide?
The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide is 266 pages long.
What do I need to access the guide?
You can access The PMP Exam Formula Study Guide in the My Download section of your PM PrepCast store account. You need to use Adobe Acrobat (or another alternative reader) to view the ebook, which is in PDF format.
Can I get a preview to look inside the guide?
For a preview of the guide contents, visit the Amazon product page and then click on “Look inside”.
What other products should I consider alongside purchasing the guide?
If you are looking into the PM PrepCast PMP Exam Formula Study Guide, please consider our bundle, The PM PrepCast Elite Plus. In addition to the PM Formula Guide, it includes the following:
- The PM PrepCast Basic is an online set of self-paced video podcast lessons that provides high-quality, low-cost training to project managers preparing for their Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam. It has helped many students pass the PMP® Exam through the years and continues to help students today.
- The PrepCast PMP Exam Simulator is a set of practice exams presented in a realistic exam platform, so students can practice what they learned from watching The PM PrepCast™. The simulator includes access to over 2,280+ PMP practice exam sample questions with detailed explanations presented as 4 complete exams and 1 ITTO exam or customizable quizzes.
- The PM StudyCoach™ Guidebooks is a week-by-week PMP study plan that guides your exam prep to reach your certification goal. This product serves as an invaluable roadmap to passing the PMP Exam.
What payment methods do you accept?
We accept major credit cards (including Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover). We also accept payments over Paypal and Affirm.
For installment options, consider the following:
Can I share my subscription or access to my account? What is your single-user license policy?
All products purchased from OSP are intended for a single user (single-user license). They are intended for you alone. You may access the product on multiple devices and from multiple locations for your personal use. For products that can be downloaded, you may download the product several times for your personal use and make backup copies of downloaded files.
Please note, that training companies must purchase individual licenses for each of their students. Training companies may not purchase one or more licenses and let students share the accounts.
How can I contact customer support?
Our PM HelpDesk customer support team normally responds within one business day (Mon-Fri), but they are often much quicker.
Contact Customer Support
Do you have user guides or tutorials on how to use your products?
What is your refund policy?
This FAQ only provides a high-level summary of the refund policy. Please review the Terms and Conditions for all the details.
Refund Policy Highlights:
- We offer a 30-day money-back guarantee
- For some products, certain conditions must be met. The exact conditions are described in the Terms & Conditions for each product. For example:
- You cannot get a refund for any simulator if you started more than one exam or more than one quiz
- You cannot get a refund for a training course if you took the course assessment or final exam and/or you printed the course certificate
- All sales of the PMP® Exam Simulator Essential are final, and no refunds will be issued.
- All sales of simulator extensions and upgrades are final, and no refunds will be issued.
- Any set-up, finance, and interest fees paid when using third-party payment processors, including finance charges that may be associated with PayPal and/or Affirm installment payment options are non-refundable.
Again, the above text only represents a summary of the actual refund policy and is irrelevant when we determine if a refund request qualifies. Only the actual refund policy described in the Terms and Conditions applies for the determination.
Who should I contact if I am interested in getting a discount for a larger group or for a training class?
We offer volume discounts to businesses, corporations, and training providers interested in ordering larger quantities. Learn more at Project Management Corporate Training.
If you have further questions, please contact [email protected].
Do you have any discounts or special offers?
We regularly offer discount coupons for our products. These coupons are published in our newsletters and via various social media channels. Here is our policy in regards to accepting discount coupons:
- Discount coupons are only valid for new purchases. The coupon code must be applied to the purchase by entering it into the "Discount Code" box and pressing the "Apply Discount" button during checkout/payment.
- Each discount coupon has a published start date and expiration date:
- The discount cannot be applied to purchases that happened before the coupon start date.
- The discount cannot be applied to purchases that happened on/after the coupon expiration date.
See our current discount offers.
- PMP, Books
- Product Type
- Training Type
- Project Management, Exam Prep